Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My grandma's special!

Chiralam - my grandma's special!

               Today , i dedicate this recipe to my grandma(paternal) who passed away last year on this day! This is my grandma's  favourite delicacy. She shared this recipe with me when i was in my late teens. I would prepare this whenever she would ask for it. It is a simple protein rich delicacy! this dish originated from chirala in andhra pradesh. Thats why my grandma named it chiralam. It's a wonderful dish for evening snacks.my jayanthi atha(dad's younger sister) is an expert on making of this dish!

         

Ingredients

Tuvar dal - 1 1/4 cup
Idly rice - 1/2 cup
Raw rice- 1/4 cup
Red chilly - 8
Asafoetida - a pinch
Green chilly - 7
Saunf- 1 tbsp
Onions - 6
Ginger - 1 piece
Garlic - 1 pod
Dhaniya - 1 tbsp
Sambhar powder- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 3 tbsp

for seasoning
Mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves


Preparation

1. Soak dal and rice for  3 hrs. Grind them with red chillies asafoetida and saunf.
2. Grind ginger, garlic and dhaniya to paste. Add this paste to the batter.
3. Steam cook this batter in an idly cooker For 15 minutes.
4. Chop these idlis to cubes.
5. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, finely chopped green chilly and  onions . Saute for few minutes. Add 2 tbsp sambhar powder and saute again.
6. Add the steamed chiralams and saute again.
7. It tastes best when served hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment